Thursday 26 July 2012

Gracefully Skint, Staying Confident

I can get all in a twiddle thinking which blog is which - is this just for home school stuff - do I need to be really clear about what I put on here?

And then I think of other Very Good blogs that I follow and think No! This is a blog about day-to-day life and reflections. Another place I write is Conjuring Lyrical and the distinction (kind of) is that I let myself loosen into creative flow more there, its less clear what I'm writing about.

So here, day to day, we are, financially speaking, on the ground. Floored, scraping the barrel, scratching around.
And yet, whilst that feels true some of the time, I also feel part of an abundant universe where I am very blessed. So I do get perspective on it when I can. I don't whine all the time!

Now I'm sure this is not down to home educating, though choosing to make the transition has been a full time job for both adults maintaining courage whilst buffeting each storm as we deschool. This wouldn't necessarily be the same for every family but it was for us. The transformations our lives have been through this last year have heartened and carried us a long way beyond the familiar frustrations of low-income life. Frugal Living and Voluntary Simplicity are two phrases I have learned describing ways that many people embrace this choice.

Maybe the painful moments are when I feel I'm not exercising a choice to be here, its all very well making the best of a situation and enjoying the benefits of both adults being largely at home but that can wear thin when its a struggle to buy the food for the week, petrol for the car etc. Always watching the figures, cancelling plans as the petrol prices continue to rise, imagining ways that I might ask for some help from relatives etc. All a bit dull!

My belief is that all is perfect: we draw to ourselves the situations and events that most help us evolve and grow towards the sun. Lots of learning, lots of growing. On the proactive, creative side, lets draw some strength from the anger and frustration when I feel I'm at the mercy of events or someone else's karma (is that even possible?!) - Own the Truth that we are here all together for whatever we need to learn and work through. Own the Reality that we have the money for what we truly want, its so easy to hide behind a 'we can't afford it' line, when really if we wanted it enough we'd make it happen.

I love being more home based. Its scary sometimes but it feels right. There is so much to do, feel and explore in the bosom of our hobbit hole. We don't have expensive tastes anymore which will no doubt be great when the money starts to flow a little more kindly, I grasp the value of items and services fairly acutely (please say I've learned that one now!) Our greatest expenditure bar the obvious is the decentest food we can find, local, organic, cooking from scratch, embracing our health as much as possible.

So I welcome this moment (have you noticed I write in affirmations when actually I want to grumble and whine? The next post might be the bitter twisted words that are getting pushed to the side now! or I'll save them for the sister site!) I welcome this very visceral experience of what Money has come to be, what we've made it as a global race. I trust that all is well and that we have everything we need.

How is this 'recession' or whatever we choose to call it affecting you and your family? What positive spins do you take on it when you can?

Love from Weststar, Gracefully skint, staying confident :)


2 comments:

  1. I come from a very, very poor family and compared to where I started I am now rich! Of course, compared to most of my HE peers (let alone broader society) I'm still pretty poor, but they don't know where I started from... so funny that now I see that initial poverty as a blessing of sorts! It gives me valued perspective.

    Anyhow, as a consequence of never having been even comfortably well off and not being remotely related to anyone with any significant money, I practise what I always have - make do and mend, cutting my cloth ever tighter and avoiding hanging out with people whose casualness with money draws me into poverty thinking. Left to my own devices, here and now, I'm usually okay. So long as we have food and a roof over our heads I do my best to let the rest go...

    Speaking of which, utility bills are stretching us so tight that I'm thinking of reinstating a walk in larder and getting rid of my fridge. I'm also considering getting rid of our phone line and internet access and just using the local library's web access! Just considering, mind you...

    As of late, well, I've just spent a couple of days draughproofing nooks and crannies in the house and am about to make door curtains for the front and back doors (using secondhand ones I've got in the attic at present). We do all the usual money saving stuff and still I am wondering how we'll get through the coming winter without freezing ourselves. Actually, I'm even making a quilt for use on the sofa, such is the concern I have about heating our house! However, on a positive note - we cosleep and Cupcake is a better bedwarmer than any electric blanket! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily, I have loved finding all your comments today :) I can see how initial poverty was a blessing of sorts, I see so much richness in our current situation that, most of the sticking points often come for me when I'm in comparison with others' situations (of which I often don't really know the details). Yes, letting the rest go. Thanks so much for your thoughts on this - really valued and helpful.

      For us its the car/transport issues first before the phone/internet one. I find so much freedom in having to consider these things (in imagining a different existence), I would really recommend being stretched financially to others as a tool for simplifying. Because however challenging it might be, if the car's not there, we'd figure it out (and be within our means I imagine). Car share, thats what I'd love. How about internet share with the neighbours. God I'd love more community style living like that (I think!)

      Cosleeping rocks.



      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! It helps the blog feel more alive - you are a valued part of its content.