Tuesday 26 June 2012

Free Range Guinea Pigs

I've got to start typing to find my flow again - its been a week or two!

An aborted visit to go look at the flexischool I hope to be postponed rather than cancelled, at least so that we can put the idea to rest one way or the other. Its the inbetween decisions that I least like, I need a fair bit of structure myself although I am letting go of the more restrictive elements of this.

There is a cat in the neighbourhood who has figured that we have guineas and a rabbit grazing in the evenings. I am one eye on the garden! They look so tasty, if I was a cat, I'd have 'em.

A longer term homeschooler balmed me with 'it takes time' when I bathe in the 'togetherness' of her boys. They always seem to be into projects, exploring the world, keen to engage and be responsible for their learning, their life together. (Of course this is through the eyes of being a visitor, but there is much truth in it!) They are a few years out of school.

We are not far off, but we jolt from easy-going flowing learning to fights still, unresponsive, refusal, desperation. There is so much I value about the chance to work through this together. Doing less, being at home more is a key I feel. The process of simplifying warps into many areas of our life, returning to the breath, compassion for ourselves and others (well, this is my journey!) Allowing silence from which questions arise rather than pouring question after question on a hot fire.

I want to say to Elderflower (new self-chosen name for Middle) - It takes time - as there's a bit of me passionate about home ed and wanting to hold on to what we are 'just' grasping. Perhaps 2 weekly days in a classroom won't disturb that. Trust trust trust. What will be will be.

I am hoping to be in half time employment myself before long for my own getting out in the world reasons, it may be the same for Elderflower. I could harp on about this sitting on the fence for paragraphs! And I won't. Lets stick to what will be will be.

The cat is circling, the pigs are unconcerned. They play, they munch, they skip around. And when dark comes they happily wander back to their resting place fairly oblivious to the dangers of the world around them. Who am I to spoil it?!




6 comments:

  1. It does take time, and it does change and flow through many different terrains and weathers! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey, i like this confirmation :) not just us then!

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm not sure about it taking time. I think sometimes it's just dependent on the mix of personalities. My kids are 8.5 and 5, never been to school, and they have lovely days of building tents together or dressing up and acting out bits of history etc, and then they hVe days when I think they might kill each other. They have days of shouting "oh goody" when it's time to start work and days of sulking and crying. I am preparing myself for a constant process of evolution and trying not to let my or their emotions derail us. If it's right, it's right - whether it's been a ripping throats out and refusing to do maths day or a dress up as Romans and watercolour the parts of plants day. (we met once, when you were thinking of home edding and Sol was just born, so it's fun to read your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy :) Yes we have met, and we live really close to each other :) Welcome to the blog. And yes I hear you on some days are just like that: its the same whatever method of educating I think and i totally agree not getting derailed is key. I can see how this is great for my self-developmet: derailing used to be a speciality of mine!!

      Delete
  3. Oh to be a guinea pig! Such moment by moment contentment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, they really don't have much else going on !!!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! It helps the blog feel more alive - you are a valued part of its content.