Saturday 10 September 2011

De-schooling

Already the fear of Monday is here - what will we do? how will we make it 'worthwhile'? I am left brain obsessed!!

The kids are 7,5 and 3. Number 7 can read fluently and has been enjoying Khan academy (free online lessons) for number play alongside an English language textbook J has. She is totally up for this journey of trying something new, it comes naturally to her to play, discover, rest, explore as she feels. Number 5 loved reception, wavered with 5 days a week and is open to trying this at home. At this stage she is reaching out for the things she misses from school - being 'special person' and getting to take the class mascot home for the night, dressing up (better after a play marathon yesterday!) I look forward to increasing our social network as we get used to this new way so that there are more opportunities for this fluid learning experience.

And what to do about my stuck ways? Scanning through my brain planning activities and their possible learning outcomes. Wanting to blow apart my habit of expectation, of limiting what is possible by my own narrow grasp of reality. I guess that if I know it is a thin slice of 'What Is' that is the biggest step! One's ego can go a long way to obsessing about this reality that is reported to us in schools, media etc. But mine is pretty convinced eh?! Despite my esoteric learning in later years, somehow when it comes to educating my kids I am still stuck on 1+1=2, telling the time etc. All great skills but again only the tip of the iceberg in terms of what human consciousness is capable of.

So this decision made by all the souls in the house, I trust, is about undoing those limitations. Or giving an alternative perspective on learning, growing so that the limited 'in the box' learning is understood for what it is. This is as much my journey as the kids. I'm the one adjusting here! They are fine and taking it in their stride, lapping up the opportunity to be flexible about mealtimes, playtimes, learning times (all-at-the-same-times).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! It helps the blog feel more alive - you are a valued part of its content.