Wednesday 22 August 2012

It wasn't on The Map!


Some quite unexpected events have fallen in amongst the Weststar householders. All completely joyful, though at first glance they may seem like crises.

Just after my successful interview (you'll remember the one, big life change, half-time work, moving up and out of unemployed life, into sharing the paid work and home ed balance....) - I fell pregnant. Yes I do know how it happens, but I made a mistake about timings and this is how I find myself. And so Number 4 Weststar is on her or his way.

So up until now I've planned and dreamed and forged my way forwards with what I understood my life to be about. The map was detailed, if a little boring, I fitted in to what might be expected of me from the outside. (Well, except for the home ed I guess, and the grain-free awkwardness, and the anti-vaccine stance... OK OK dream on Westy if you think you were fulfilling expectations!)

So I thought I was following my map and pleasing those around me if they took the time to need pleasing.

But now, this absolute Gift of a soul growing in my belly is very inconvenient. We won't fit in a normal car (which we can't afford to run anyhow!), we are still largely unemployed in any real monetary sense. I smart at quite how this could have happened. It wasn't on the Map!

And yet I think I feel today about as humbled and lucky as I have felt of late. Totally supported by Grace and the Flow of Life. My new boss is figuring out how to still have me in a slightly different role and probably less hours initially. Friends have come forward with help and support abundant. I've realised I really did want another little bear (and any of this is only possible because of home ed, there is no way I would bring someone else into my previous incarnation as a school-running clock-watcher) and I totally trust that we'll figure it out.

Or, to hell with figuring it out. Its already sorted, we just have to surrender and go with the flow to support ourselves, continue our excellent family life and enjoy the relationships within our family and friend community that co-sustain. Hard work yes, I know that, but real ground roots work where we grow, thrive, learn and unfold.

When have unexpected things happened to you and how did you welcome them into your life? I'd love to know. Thank you for reading friends.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, just when you were saying how uneventful your life is! Hehehe. Wow, babies have a habit of finding a way into our life when they want to come :-) Congratulations! X x X x X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you yes! A little soul spotted an opening! Even if it took me a while to agree with him/her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a lucky baby to be so accepted.

    As for life plans, well, a map is not the territory (as the saying goes) and when we're walking the land we often come across things that the cartographer in us never thought to signpost! Ah well, the journey would be less interesting if we knew all that was coming, wouldn't it? :-)

    Oh yes, good to hear your employer is so flexible and adaptive - sounds like a good team to join.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes confidence dips and dives with this one....!
      Yep I feel good about the work thing - the role thats unfolding for me is more the kind of thing I would have applied for had the ad been there, so already there are signs that the pregnancy however long or short it may be, has helped with navigation. I can see patterns with all my pregnancies, though the rest were planned, un/consciously they led me away from pathways I would otherwise have wasted more time skipping down.. I'm learning I hope to spot those dead ends without the need for further populating our busy planet... !?

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! It helps the blog feel more alive - you are a valued part of its content.