Monday 23 April 2012

Shhhhhh!

Eight months in, and our eldest has just sat down with a workbook and engaged in some mathematics... A nice feeling, and yes, shh don't tell anyone, I feel like it might disappear if I draw attention to it.

This is the subject she struggles with the most, or has some kind of block and refusal to do it. Alongside much rebellion in the last month or so towards Jon and I with regard to any 'formal' learning (feels naturally part of the deschooling period).

She sat down with this book, she was having a great time filling it in but likes me just to be there beside her. Touching, nodding occasionally, laughing about it all, no big deal and it is in that loving space that we move forwards.

3 comments:

  1. Its exciting isn't it, we have had a similar breakthrough with reading!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just how my daughter likes to do workbooks - fine as long as I'm beside her and ready to help if required. It makes such a difference, I think, to know that you aren't alone in facing the mental and emotional challenges of new knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! It helps the blog feel more alive - you are a valued part of its content.