Wednesday 25 April 2012

Base camp

Was sent a link to a Peaceful Parenting blog today that spoke of success in home ed being about time in the home. Staying at base camp for a lot of the week rather than running from group to group. I have found this reminder heartening.

Whilst the groups are fun, meeting up with others is essential for us, there is one fortnightly session that costs considerably more and we may not be able to meet the costs in the future. It has been a great stepping stone to get us from the busy school calendar to a more autonomous life style by providing us with a structured learning environment we were all familiar with, but if we need to stop going next year, I trust the alternative will be enriching also.

When I notice my head running ahead of myself, planning, erking a little about "What have we quantifiably done today ?!", I let the muscles relax, light a fire and we all sit together for a bit. This is the heart of my home ed decision. Being together. Learning together, grappling sometimes sure, all out fighting sometimes sure, but doing it together at the hearthside of our home environment.

Equally I may just go find them with my book/knitting or similar, and be in the same room, present. What a gift to each other to be fully present.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! It helps the blog feel more alive - you are a valued part of its content.