Monday 19 March 2012

Letting Go (Again!)

So the process of letting go control is still happening. A friend who has home schooled since the beginning with her 4 boys says that for families who leave school (as opposed to those who never try school) its as much the parents who are deschooling as the children.

I really agree with this. I've returned to the art of 'strewing' (only recently found our there is a word for it!) which is leaving things around and about that the kids may or may not find interesting, useful, inspiring, springboard them off into an interest..

I find it challenging at the moment to let go of my expectations of what might happen. Each day I am finding more and more that the process of learning is like building blocks, where pathways are laid, weeks (months,years) may pass before that area is returned to to lay foundations or build. Or a whole storey may be built in a day.

http://sandradodd.com/life
for inspiring heartening reminders on unschooling

No matter how much theory I learned as a trainee teacher, its being with my own kids that is showing me this. And this learning in partnership is where I feel we are fitting into the unschooling model where all of life is seen as a learning experience for adults and children alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! It helps the blog feel more alive - you are a valued part of its content.